Big Sur Bakery was one of the big winners at the 2018 Big Sur Foragers Festival, winning Best of Show for its chicken liver and chanterelle mousse.
The mousse featured hedgehog butter, black trumpet, Big Sur sea salt, local honey mustard vinaigrette, on Bakery multigrain and squid ink sesame bread.
Also winning awards at the Jan. 12-14 event held in Carmel and Big Sur, were Tim Wood of Carmel Valley Ranch for Most Creative Use of Foraged Ingredients and Ben Spungin of Sierra Mar at Post Ranch for Most Imaginative.
Wood’s entry featured Cipollini polenta with French black truffle, local chanterelle, Santa Cruz matsutaki, sweet onion jus, sea salt, and secret green sauce (green herbs and feta).
Spungin’s winning dish featured candy cap chocolates with ganache emulsion (72% chocolate), whipped white chocolate ganache with golden candy cap, Live Oak bark ice cream, the bark washed, toasted, and simmered like cinnamon.
Knights of the Vine wine awards went to Baker & Brain for its 2016 Gruner Veltliner in the White Varietal category and Chappellet for its 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon in the Red Varietal category.
The Big Sur Health Center will receive the proceeds from all festival events to help support the continued presence of local healthcare services in the Big Sur area. The 2018 festival featured Thursday and Friday night fundraising dinners, a special raffle, Fungus Face Off, and Wild Mushroom Walk & Talks.
The Fungus Face Off returned to the featured venue and longtime festival partner, Ventana Big Sur. Event venues included Lugano Swiss Bistro, Rio Grill, Il Grillo and Post Ranch.
The festival included 10 restaurants, 19 wineries and six vendors.
About the BSHC:
As a nonprofit health-care facility since 1979, the Big Sur Health Center provides quality acute and preventive health care services that are culturally and linguistically appropriate, and cost-effective. It is the Health Center’s quest to be a lifelong healthcare partner and provide care when needed.
The Big Sur Health Center provides:
- comprehensive, personalized services through conventional and holistic approaches that focus on patient needs;
- both preventive and urgent care, minor surgical procedures and basic laboratory and pharmaceutical services;
- assistance during emergencies, such as fires, storms and road closures that isolate Big Sur
- a bilingual staff that is committed to building strong, personal patient/provider relationships that empower individuals to reach their highest levels of well-being;
- a team that understands and embraces the diverse cultures and age groups that contribute to the richness of the Big Sur community.
The BSHC believes that health care should be available to everyone … and that is why they accept most major insurance plans, including Medicare and Medical, and participate in a variety of subsidized and sliding-scale programs.
10 a.m.-1 p.m. and 2-5 p.m.
Address: 46896 Highway 1, Big Sur, CA 93920