Winners of the Fungus Face-Off at the 2017 Big Sur Foragers Festival, a fundraiser for the Big Sur Health Center, have been announced.
The popular event was held Saturday, Jan. 14, at a beautiful tented setting at Carmel Valley Ranch. The community’s non-profit health center will receive proceeds from the foraging events to help support the continued presence of local healthcare services in the Big Sur area.
The award winners of the Fungus Face-Off are:
Best Use of Foraged Ingredients (Savory)
Matt Glazer, Glazer Food and Beverage
Wild Mushroom and Wild Boar Chili with Black Trumpet, Chanterelles, Hedgehog, Hen of the Woods and Porcini Mushrooms, garnished with a Tortilla Chip.
Best Use of Foraged Ingredients (Sweet)
Paul Corsentino, Executive Chef and Saul Tejada, Pastry Chef, Ventana Big Sur
Candy Cap Mousse Cake, Chanterelle Crème Anglaise, Candy Cap Honey Comb, Satsuma Marmalade, garnished with a striped White and Dark Chocolate Mini Straw.
Judges’ Choice Best of Show
Todd Fisher, Executive Chef, Tarpy’s Roadhouse
Mushroom Upside Down Steak, Roasted Chanterelles, Shiitake and Oysters, Shaved Button Mushrooms, sliced New York Steak, Cognac Demi and Whipped Bone Marrow.
Tim Wood, Executive Chef, Carmel Valley Ranch
Ragout of Duck Confit and Big Sur Chanterelles, Foie Gras on Roasted Garlic Crostini.
- Knights of the Vine, Best White Varietal: DI TIERRA – DRY RIESLING
- Knights of the Vine, Best Red Varietal: CHESEBRO – LA MONTAGNE SAUVAGE -Rhone-Style Blend
- People’s Choice – Chappellet who was pouring:
- Cabernet Franc
- Pinot Noir
The 2017 Big Sur Foragers Festival was held January 13-15, 2017, with the Fungus Face-Off and Grand Chef dinner held at Carmel Valley Ranch, the sister property of longtime host Ventana Big Sur, where a resort enhancement project is underway, necessitating a change of venue this year.
About the BSHC:
As a nonprofit health-care facility since 1979, the Big Sur Health Center provides quality acute and preventive health care services that are culturally and linguistically appropriate, and cost-effective. It is the Health Center’s quest to be a lifelong healthcare partner and provide care when needed.
The Big Sur Health Center provides:
- comprehensive, personalized services through conventional and holistic approaches that focus on patient needs;
- both preventive and urgent care, minor surgical procedures and basic laboratory and pharmaceutical services;
- assistance during emergencies, such as fires, storms and road closures that isolate Big Sur
- a bilingual staff that is committed to building strong, personal patient/provider relationships that empower individuals to reach their highest levels of well-being;
- a team that understands and embraces the diverse cultures and age groups that contribute to the richness of the Big Sur community.
The BSHC believes that health care should be available to everyone … and that is why they accept most major insurance plans, including Medicare and Medical, and participate in a variety of subsidized and sliding-scale programs.
10 a.m.-1 p.m. and 2-5 p.m.
Address: 46896 Highway 1, Big Sur, CA 93920