2019 Dates Announced
The next Foragers Festival will take place January 18 – 21, 2019
The event has traditionally served as a fundraiser for the Big Sur Health Center. The community’s non-profit health center will receive the proceeds from the foraging events to continue to support the presence of local health care services in the Big Sur area.
The four-day festival affords Big Sur area restaurants the opportunity to host the culinary expertise of notable chefs who will be preparing unique fare ranging from rustic to elegant, paired alongside the central coast region’s amazing selection of wine and beer.
Events will include:
- A Thursday Night Fundraiser at Lugano’s Swiss Bistro. Details to come.
- Friday night winemaker’s dinners as locations around Monterey County include Il Grillo in Carmel-by-the-Sea
- The “Fungus Face-Off” held on Saturday. The event will have food tastings, wines, beers, raffles, silent auction and more! This popular event sells out early. Tickets will be on sale soon.
- Saturday Foraging walk led by local experts at Ventana Big Sur. “Wild Mushroom Walks and Talk” led by Steve Copeland of Big Sur Guides and his team of expert mushroom foragers.
- Sunday we are finalizing several brunch fundraisers around Monterey County.
And the 2018 winners were…
Baker & Brain 2016 Gruner Veltliner
Chappellet 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon
Most Creative Use of Foraged Ingredients: Tim Wood Carmel Valley Ranch
- Cipollini polenta w/ French black truffle, local chanterelle, Santa Cruz matsutaki ,sweet onion jus, sea salt, and secret green sauce (green herbs and feta)
Most Imaginative: Ben Spungin with Sierra Mar Post Ranch
- Candy cap chocolates with ganache emulsion. 72% chocolate
- Whipped white chocolate ganache with golden candy cap
- Live oak bark ice cream (candy cap). Bark washed, toasted, and simmered like cinnamon
Best of Show: Big Sur Bakery
- Chicken liver and chanterelle mousse, hedgehog butter, black trumpet, Big Sur sea salt, local honey mustard vinaigrette, on Bakery multigrain and squid ink sesame bread.